Galen on Nature

[There] are people who think that Nature is not artistic, that she does not show forethought for the animal’s welfare, and that she has absolutely no native powers whereby she alters some substances, attracts others, and discharges others. Galen, On the Natural Faculties, I.12 In other words, it was believed by Galen that Nature was … Read more

Weeds: How to Control Them

A farm can be made almost free of especially troublesome weeds by strictly observing the following principles: (1) Prevent weeds from going to seed on the farm; (2) prevent weed seeds from being brought to the farm; and (3) in the case of perennial weeds, prevent them from making top growth and thus finally starve … Read more

Cattle Terms

Calf:  Baby cattle of both genders, until weaning Heifer:  young, female cattle that has not calved Steer:  castrated male cattle Bull:  adult, male cattle capable of breeding (“intact”) Ox:  mature steer (2+ years), trained for draft work Cow:  adult, female cattle that has calved

Subsistence Farming, Part 1

When people are frustrated, it is easy for them to fly, wildly, to extremes and imagine them to be real solutions.  We see this nowhere better than in political mess before us in the presidential election this year.  People who are struggling financially in the suburban life, or Christians who are uncomfortable working with unbelievers because … Read more


The bluebird has not been accused, so far as known, of stealing fruit or of preying upon crops. An examination of 855 stomachs showed that 68 per cent of the food consists of insects and their allies, while the other 32 per cent is made up of various vegetable substances, found mostly in stomachs taken … Read more

Goat Prices – Jan 2016

RA_LS552 Raleigh, NC Jan 07, 2016 USDA-NC Dept of Ag Market News State Graded Goat and Sheep Sale Monroe, North Carolina Jan 06, 2016 Total Receipts: 197 goats, 94 sheep Last month: 202 goats, 173 sheep All prices are quoted per head. Slaughter and Replacement Classes: Goats Kids: Selection 1 20-40 lbs 107.00, 40-60 lbs … Read more

Lima Pole Beans

Varieties:  King of the Garden Suppliers:  Wyatt-Quarles Planting Dates: Planting Instructions: Notes:

MFF Homemade Hot Cocoa

Makes 1 gallon of delicious hot cocoa: Start with 2 Cups of Boiling Water in a 2+ gallon pot. Add 2 Cups Sugar. Add 2 Cups Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. Add 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt. Mix and boil until smooth with no lumps. Add 1 Gallon of Milk. Cook until hot. Add 2 Tablespoons Vanilla. Serve with marshmallows or whipped … Read more

What Vegetables Should You Grow?

Very good advice on choosing which vegetables to grow in your garden: Grow those vegetables in which freshness is an important consideration. Beans, peas, Lima beans, sweet corn, and asparagus, for example, lose much if they are not cooked almost immediately after they are gathered. Potatoes, on the other hand, do not deteriorate rapidly, and … Read more